1. “I can’t wait to stop getting zits one day.”
While your skin probably improved over time, zits never completely went away.
2. “$1,000 is a lot of money.”
Now all that money immediately disappears to go to rent, bills, and other responsibilities. And $1,000 doesn’t come close to covering it all.
3. “Everyone but me has their shit together.”
The day you realized that nobody has a plan — we’re all winging it!!!! — was a scary day indeed.
4. “I’m very mature for my age.”
Now you think about how you actually acted back then and just shake your head.
5. “This isn’t a phase! This is who I really am!”
But today, you hide all your embarrassing high school photos — or you send them to your friends so they can laugh, too.
6. “In fact, I’m pretty much an adult already.”
You can’t believe you actually thought you looked grown-up.
7. “Hangovers aren’t that bad!”
Now you know the pure torture of hangovers that actually last more than a day.
8. “Socks are a terrible gift.”
Now, the gift box full of socks is the best present you’ve received all year.
9. “Once I’m 21, I’ll REALLY feel like an adult.”
Hell, you don’t even feel like an adult now. Does anyone?
10. “I can’t wait to stay up late all the time.”
As you got older, you realized how much better it feels to be well-rested.
11. “Staying in on Friday night is so lame.”
Now it sometimes takes a miracle to get you off your sofa on the weekends.
12. “The friends I have now are the friends I’ll have forever.”
Grown-up you realizes how your social circle changed and evolved over time.
13. “It’ll be so much easier to hang out with my friends once we’re in our twenties.”
If only you’d known how hard it is to sync up schedules, and that you’d be planning a get-together with your best friends six months in advance..
14. “I’ll be able to afford a huge, gorgeous apartment as long as I get a roommate.”
Looking through apartment listings was a harsh, harsh awakening.
15. “And I’ll probably easily buy a house before I turn 30!”
Oh, younger you. So dumb. So naive.
16. “I can’t wait to fill that house with all the Ikea furniture that I’ll assemble myself!”
You didn’t understand true frustration until you assembled Ikea furniture.
17. “Once I fall in love, everything else will just fall into place.”
Aw, teenage you couldn’t even fathom all the different ways you could screw up.
18. “And dating will be so much easier once I’m not a teenager anymore.”
Hahaha! NOPE. But at least younger you was optimistic, right? ~sob~
19. “Yep, I have a pretty good idea of how my life is going to go.”
Oh, honey. You had no idea what you were in for. But that’s exactly what was so fun about it, wasn’t it?